Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Life is Like a River...



When I was in college I had a silly sign on my dorm room door that read, "Life is like a river..."!
This statement was always a conversation starter.  People would come into my room and try to guess the answer to the statement...but in fact there was no real answer.  However, it was always fun and often interesting to see how different friends and acquaintances would finish it.  I saw the statement as a way to define the journey I was on in college...trying to find myself, trying to strengthen my faith-life, (which was not really fashionable in the late 1970's), trying to discern who were true friends, how I felt about social and religious issues.

This May I will have been out of college 30 years...I am still on a journey.  As my personal little world changes around me with children coming and going from college, a recent marriage and the closeness I feel to my husband of 25 years, losing family members and friends to awful diseases, aging--I am still evolving.  I have been a mother for 24 years.  As my kids take off on their adventures in life...my role as a mother has to be redefined. But, I have great comfort in knowing who I am, what I stand for, and how important my faith is in my life.  Because God never changes...

Life IS like a river...ever flowing.  At times the river is moving through rapids, calm waters, or even stagnant but always moving and changing.  People who enter our lives become ripples or waves...
But the water of life that renews our spirit is our faith in God, He is the one constant.

I Lasso God as the center of my life!

No comments: